Beijing has hit back at the US over recent threats as touching the South China Sea, with a Foreign Ministry official reiterating to Washington that China will ‘not back down’.
Relationships between the US and China has deteriorated to crisis level. The United States have placed sanctions on Chinese internet apps in the country, banned China’s consulate in Houston from operation, targeted Communist Party members with sanctions owing to China’s treatment of Uigur Muslims, and currently, there is a build-up of arms in the South China Sea due to claims of ownership. Observers nurture premonitions the US and China could start the Third World War.
China’s Vice-Foreign Minister, Le Yucheng emphasized that China will not give up an inch of the South China Sea to the US and its allies.
He said on Wednesday: “On issues concerning China’s core interests and national dignity, there is simply no room for us to back down.
“If we give up an inch, they will ask us to back off a mile and through salami tactics they will never stop undermining China’s sovereignty and dignity.
“Some Americans have blamed China for being a free rider.
“But when China poured in more money to provide public goods, then they blamed us for having strategic intentions and trying to be a hegemony.”
Le also remained adamant China would not be threatened by sanctions from the US.
He denied China was obsessed with playing a dominant role in global affars, as claimed by Western countries.
Amidst the tensions between both countries bubbling of out control, the US Health Secretary Alex Azar paid a visit to Taiwan, an independent nation once a part of China. Despite Mr. Azar’s claim of visiting Taiwan to strengthen ties amid the Covid-19 pandemic, Beijing issued a warning to the US to stop communications with Taiwan. The CCP views Taiwan as still a part of Chinese territory.
Despite all this, Le said Beijing is still interested in talks to iron out their differences with the US, including other aggrieved countries.
He said: “We must stay focused without being swayed by any extreme forces, keep to the right direction of the bilateral relationship, and prevent it from spiralling out of control or getting derailed.
“First, keep the lines of communication open.
“Dialogue should not be put on hold. In particular, there should be no ‘radio silence’ between the two foreign ministries.
“That means no matter how difficult and complex the issues may be, they should be put on the table.
“I myself stand ready for talks with my US counterpart at any time.”
Despite his calls for open dialogue between the two, Taiwan stated Chinese jets had been sent over the border towards the island. The Communist Party are determined to reclaim the Island country by all means. However, the Trump administration has thrown its weight behind Taiwan, volunteering to supply them weapons against a hostile Chinese onslaught.
Reports say that China is anticipating a new government after the US election in November, which will be crucial in forming a new Sino-US relationship.
NEWS/PHOTO SOURCE: Express/CNN