There was pandemonium in Accra as staff quarters of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana was demolished. The incident took place late Friday.
Trouble started after a Ghanaian businessman claimed that the Nigerian High Commission’s staff quarters was being built on his land. The man reportedly showed up last week with some pieces of evidence to support his claim and began to knock down the fence surrounding the building.
Days later, he was said to have returned to the premises of the staff quarters and this time, with a bulldozer and began to pull down the building.
In a bid to stop the demolition, officials contacted the police who reportedly showed up at the site when the building was almost pulled down.
Why the police allegedly allowed the man to leave the scene without reprimand or questioning, the incident still baffles people. Reacting, the Federal Government condemned the action while demanding immediate answers from Ghana’s government.
Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs while reacting, apologised to the Nigerian government over the demolition of the Nigerian High Commission’s building in Accra.
In a press statement, Ghana’s foreign affairs ministry said it views the act as a breach of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations – an international treaty that defines a framework for diplomatic relations between countries.
It expressed regrets over the demolition, saying; “Investigations are ongoing to unravel the facts of the matter and bring perpetrators to book. Meanwhile, the Government of Ghana has beefed up security at the said facility and the situation is under control.”
“While expressing regrets over the incident, the Ministry wishes to reassure the diplomatic community in Ghana and the Nigerian High Commission in particular that Ghana remains a law abiding country that upholds the principle of the rule of law.”
Nigeria’s foreign affairs minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, in a tweet on Sunday condemned the development, describing it as ‘criminal and Outrageous’.
“We are engaging the Ghanaian Government and demand urgent action to find the perpetrators and provide adequate protection for Nigerians and their property in Ghana.”
In a separate tweet, the Director-General of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, assured that the agency will reach out to its citizens in Ghana.
“The Minister of Foreign Affairs @GeoffreyOnyeama will update appropriately . @nidcom_gov is in touch with Nigerians in Ghana,” she wrote, replying a social media user who urged that the lives of Nigerians in the country should be secured.